The CIP FORUM is CIP’s flagship event where partners, colleagues, alumni, and invited guests gather in Göteborg to address the key industry, university, and policy challenges of the transformation to a knowledge economy. The event has been held on seven occasions since 2001 with the next event scheduled for September 23-25, 2018. The focus of the event is on sharing innovative ideas, research, and practical experiences among global actors. A blend of theory and practice is employed to bridge the gap between strategy and policy and encourage critical reflection in a world where business and public policy are both in transition. The inclusion of local graduate students from Chalmers and University of Gothenburg in the event allows the next generation to voice their opinions through the unfiltered lens of the beginner’s mind. A key goal of CIP FORUM is to transform the dialogue into action through new initiatives together with industry partners, academia, and policy makers that will be carried out and presented in the next event.
CIP FORUM 2018 will focus on the theme of Transformation, which is a natural progression from the previous theme of Convergence. The event will consist of two main sub-themes as follows:
Digitization (Digital Transformation) Track
- Provide an understanding of the industrial and societal impact of several emerging disruptive technologies that are driving digital transformation (Industry 4.0 in particular).
- Provide knowledge to derive business strategies on how to manage IP and technology positions for competitive advantage in an era of digital transformation.
- Discuss the implications of digital transformation on existing institutions and provide insights to guide effective policy-making.
Globalization (Global Transformation) Track
- Provide an understanding of the changing global competition for technology/innovation leadership (in particular a comparison of China, India, US, and EU).
- Provide an understanding of the key comparative dynamics and drivers of technology investment/returns within the IP/innovation eco-systems in China in comparison to the US/EU (e.g. respective advantages, disadvantages, requirements and trade-offs, etc., which might reflect technology, market, legal, legislative or regulatory influences).
- Provide knowledge to derive strategies for reconciling the disparate IP/innovation environments that best realize their respective corporate objectives – within and between the US/EU and China (e.g. Including guidance on types of IP, business models and commercialization vehicles, etc).
The event will discuss challenges, trends, and specific management and policy issues that characterize the opportunities and threats of globalization of innovation and digital transformation for industry and policy-makers. These issues will be addressed through plenary, break-out, workshop, and roundtable sessions at different levels of focus, including policy, strategy, and operational levels. Participation is based on invitation, where the specific sessions are designed in collaboration with CIP partner organizations and board members as well as the key interests of the invited participants. The goal of the event is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the key globalization and digitalization issues by leading global policy makers, executives, and experts in an open environment where all participants have an opportunity to partake in the dialogue.
Click here to download the final program for CIP FORUM 2018!
For more info on the previous CIP FORUM click here to download the CIP FORUM 2016 Program, and here to download the CIP FORUM 2016 Summary.